Our Legacy of Community
The Jones Family has served the legal needs of Macon County and Western North Carolina for four consecutive generations, beginning in 1878 and continuing through today. By providing assistance to individual clients, governmental agencies, local organizations, and businesses, we have helped to shape the future of our region. Along with deep sense of heritage and philanthropic service to our community, commitment to honor and excellence set us apart from others in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina.
During the summer of 1922, a young Franklin, North Carolina attorney, Gilmer A. Jones, had the idea of organizing a building and loan association. It was to have a long-term impact on the progress in Macon County. He recognized an urgent need for an institution offering citizens an opportunity to become homeowners, and a depository that would pay a good rate of interest on individual savings in Macon County. The Franklin Press dated August 25, 1922, stated: “An organization that is destined to do more for the upbuilding of our town than anything that has ever been attempted here was formed last Saturday night.” Mr. Jones’ idea became reality on October 6, 1922, when the Macon County Building and Loan Association opened its office upstairs above the Bank of Franklin Building.